Monday, September 1, 2008

There's a Speech in That!

There’s a Speech in That!

One day, I was having a discussion with a fellow Toastmaster who is my “Mentee” when she said, “I can’t think of anything to give a speech about!” I was flabbergasted! I went on to tell her about the list of speech topics I continually add to every week. I am a list person and I am always adding to my list of speech topics. In discussions with my wife or friends, I am known to frequently say, “There’s a speech in that!”

I want to tell you how to build a list of speech topics and tell you where they can come from. Beware, you are going into a different dimension, I place where the unusual is the norm. That’s right; you are getting a peek inside Phil’s head. Be afraid, be very afraid!


One of my favorite TV shows is Seinfeld. I remember the time that Jerry and George went to NBC to sell their idea of a “Show about Nothing”. George asked the network executive what he did today and he said he had a bagel and then went for a workout. George said, “That’s a show”. That is what comedians do. They take the ordinary, find humor in it and point out the humor. For Toastmasters, we can take the ordinary, find the humor in it, point it out and add a little life lesson to go with it. We give the audience a life lesson, inspiration, a sweet story or a reminder to add to society each day.

That brings me to my first point, an article in the Toastmasters magazine; A-B-C. Always be collecting. Collect ideas, articles, web-pages and addresses. Keep a running list of possible topics to speak on. These ideas are like seeds in the fertile ground of your mind. Eventually, one will burst forth from the ground and grow to the point it consumes your thoughts and you just have to get in front of the audience and get it out of your head.

Where do the ideas come from? What did you do today? I went down to the DMV and tried to get a license plate for my car. Did I get it? No, instead I got high blood pressure, almost had a mini stroke and got an idea for a speech. I also learned I need to control my temper and not let others set me off. No one should be able to cause that kind of distress in another. I learned to own the problem and not the DMV. It was hard work but I learned from it. I’ll tell you one thing though, when the revolution comes, they may be the first ones up against the wall!

Write down your dreams. I once had a dream that a doughnut was eating me! Now there’s got to be a speech in that, somewhere! Perhaps dreams flow from the subconscious to the conscious and also from the conscious to the subconscious. Dreams can be a source of great insight and they should be shared, some of them anyway!

Theme speeches, when writing down ideas, see if there is a common theme. You may come up with a series of speeches relating to a particular subject or type of speech. Some speeches may become too long and you may need to break them up into a series.

Watermarks in speeches. In every episode of Seinfeld, there is some reference to superman, the superman story, a character or connection to the TV series. “That’s the question Jimmy, that’s the question.” I like to install a phrase from Seinfeld in my speeches or find a way to insert a doughnut in them. That makes me laugh.

Props speeches. Speeches about your junk drawer and the justification for being a pack rat. By golly, I just love a hat speech or someone talking about their shoes! I once heard a member of my Toastmasters club say something I will never get over, “I have shoes in my closet I’ve never worn.” Learning effective use of props is a skill we can all use.

Types of speeches,
Book report, a book report speech should not tell the story but tell how you reacted to the story and entice the listener to want to read the book. Tease them with the drama, humor, mystery until they come to you later and say, “Thanks, because of you I was up all night reading that book!”
You can try out your Technical speeches for work on your Toastmasters club audience. It is good to work out the kinks prior to going before the bosses!
Your experiences are a great source of material for a speech. Did something happen to you which made you grow? Did you have a revelation as a result of your experiences? Tell your fellow Toastmasters.
Music appreciation. How on earth can you feel comfortable bringing music into a speech? I saw a fellow member bring in her CD player and give us an enlightening speech on classical music and played a few verses for us. It inspired me to give a speech on Meat Loaf’s music which inspired another member to speak on his favorite group, Creme.

Outline for the speech. When outlining your speech consider;
What is the problem?
What is the situation?
What is the issue?
How ridiculous was it?
What is funny about it?
What can you learn from it?
That may very well be the basis for your next talk.
So here is your assignment. You should never run out of speech topics if you do the following:

ABC. Always be collecting. Ideas for speeches are everywhere. Write them all down, no matter how far flung the idea.
Look for the story in everything you do. Find the message you should share with others.
Once you have gotten a few speeches or manuals behind you, look on your “speech creation” in terms of connecting speeches together either by themes or threads.
Have fun. Getting the creative juices flowing is a wonderful way to live and to learn.
Don’t be afraid to steal. Emulate others, pick out the good points others have and remold them to be your own.

Recently a club member told of the power and rush he gets from speaking in Toastmasters. I want to tell you there is also power in the growing of an idea into a speech.

You will never do everything you dream of going but you will rarely do anything without first dreaming of it. I hope you dream and I hope you dream big!
Then I hope you come and tell us about it!

No comments: